What is an argumentative essay?
It easy is to be argumentative when a piece of writing is based on an issue. In an argumentative essay, a writer always tries to convince their reader by giving valid and supporting points to the problem they have raised in their essay. They will provide all types of reasoning and shreds of evidence to prove his support on a particular issue.
This type of argumentative essay is common in schools and colleges. They are generally related to politics, health, environment, society, technology, and science.
Number of paragraphs in an argumentative essay
Many factors determine the number of paragraphs in an argumentative essay.
- The number of points: The main factor is the number of points you want to mention in an essay. The more the issues, the more the paragraph would be. For example, if you choose a specific topic like Child marriage in India, you must develop points that will guide your argumentative essay.
We should try t manage all argumentative points in a section. If you want to include more issues relating to child marriage, it will increase the number of paragraphs in an essay. At the same time, if you come up with lesser points, the number of subsections will be limited.
- Length of an individual paragraph: The next factor determining the number of paragraphs is the length of a separate section. If you choose to have a long passage, it may contain more sentences, leading to fewer paragraphs.
On the other hand, if you choose shorter paragraphs, the number of segments will also increase accordingly.
How to structure paragraphs in an argumentative essay
The most common way of structuring an argumentative essay is by dividing the main document into three parts: an introduction, body, and conclusion.
- Introduction: The introduction of an argumentative essay should be one paragraph. Make sure that you provide an attractive introduction that will insist your reader read is it did end.
- Body: The body of the paragraph depends on the number of points you want to include in your essay. Sometimes in many colleges and schools, there is a word limit restriction where you have to prove your topic within certain word limits. In that case, the body of the essay should be written accordingly with the number of paragraphs you can write to satisfy the word count given by the authority.
- Conclusion: The end is the most important, which is the conclusion. In the concluding part, you should specifically dedicate the paragraph to summarise all the major points and arguments mentioned in the essay. Wrap your thought and force the reader to think about the issue.
To sum up
The previously mentioned structure is a standard structure for most argumentative essays that require their students to utilize. However, the design of the essay is customizing according to the writer’s raised topic.
Finally, your student or teacher preference will determine the number of paragraphs to be included in an argumentative essay. The main target is to prove or support the issue.
Some people will feel that they need to have more paragraphs in their essay; therefore, they develop more points and paragraphs. At the same time, some prefer shorter essays that consequently lead to fewer paragraphs. Some students can also choose to give straight the point response while others briefly explain their points.
Hence it depends on the writer’s preference were to determine the number of paragraphs in their argumentative essays.